World of growing plants
get to know us a little better
Who are we
Owned and run by Benedicte and Stephen Jenkinson.
Calamazag Nursery is an independent family run plant nursery based on our small holding near the seaside town of Looe in East Cornwall.
Our nursery's roots date back to the 1950's with Benedicte's grand parents and then father growing plants for the wholesale and cut flower markets.
We are now the third ' with a fourth being trained as you read this ' generation, growing a wide range of rarely available plants.
We strive to supply our customers with great quality garden ready plants backed up with excellent customer service.
Please do read our verified reviews page to see what our existing customers say about of us.
specialist independent U.K. plant growers
What we grow
Growing exciting plants in a sustainable and ecological way is what we are all about.
We currently grow over a 1000 varieties of plants, including rockery plants, cottage garden perennials, succulents, kitchen garden plants and lots of colourful seasonal plants that give instant colour to your garden, many of which are rarely available in garden centres or supermarkets.
We also specialise in growing Dianthus and over the years, we have built up quite a collection of these plants and are now considered to have one of the largest commercially available ranges in the U.K.
We are always growing new exciting varieties of plants and you can keep up to date and get advanced offers by joining our free online community.
Our plant growing
Plant propagation is the start of the plant growing process at our nursery.
This is the very start of life for our plants, so as you can imagine, propagation plays a very big part at our nursery.
We propagate our plants on site using methods such as taking cuttings from our mother plants, dividing up stock and harvesting and germinating seeds.
These are then established on our misted propagation benches.
Once established with a root system, the young plants are transplanted into larger garden ready sized pots and grown on further.
We also grown on some other exciting varieties of rooted cuttings with protected breeders rights attached to them from other specialist nurseries with a similar growing ethos to ourselves.
All of the plants we sell are
Grown on by us
Once propagated, we grow all of our plants on site until they are garden ready with a healthy established root system.
The root system gives a plant its energy to thrive and we ensure that all of our plants have strong, established roots before we send them to you.
Plants are grown using a compost containing a specialised long term slow releasing fertiliser, providing much needed energy to help these young plants to get off to a strong start.
Our plants are not grown using artificial lighting or heating.
The growing process is a little slower this way but we believe that it makes for more naturally grown, happier, healthier plants.
We are currently growing over 80% of plants peat free ( the other 20% is grown in peat reduced compost ).
By the summer of 2022 our entire plant range will be grown in a completely peat free compost made up of bark, wood fibre & coir.
OUR ENVIRONMENTAL AIMS
Sustainable, ecological plant growing and much more
At Calamazag Plant Nursery, we have always committed to and invested in caring for our environment.
We are continually working on ways to improve our nursery's sustainability to help to make our environment a healthier place.
Have a read of some of the methods that we are currently using to grow plants at our nursery.